Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pin Wheels

So I remember my grandma coming to Germany to visit us when I was a child and she brought her then boyfriend named PJ. PJ introduced me to these little rolls of awesome that we call pin wheels. They are seriously amazing. I changed the recipe up alittle bit but its pretty true to form. The recipe I use the most calls just to use meat but I put mine in tortillas and roll them that way. I also add lettuce and other veggies sometimes. They are good with just the spread and meat though. I highly recommend getting the roast beef from the meat people at the commissary or for those who are not military at a place like kroger or walmart. I miss those places being overseas but we do have some great meat here in Belgium.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. horseradish
1 (4 oz.) or 2 (2 1/2 oz.) smoked beef or ham
1 tbsp. onion, grated
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
*tortilla shells (optional)

Blend cream cheese, onion, horseradish and Worcestershire sauce until of spreading consistency. Separate meat slices. Lay out five slices, slightly overlapping on an 18 inch piece of aluminum foil. Spread out two more rows to form a rectangle of meat. Spread with cheese mixture. Roll up as jelly roll using foil to bring up meat at beginning of roll. Use fingers to roll until complete. Chill. Just before serving, slice into one inch slices.

*If you use tortilla shells just spread the mixture over one side of the shell. Then lay the meat down and whatever else you would like to put in it and roll up. Also when I cut them right before serving I stuck little toothpicks through them. They are really amazing and all the adults and kids at my son's class party loved them. A hit for sure!

0 comments:

Post a Comment